We live in a day and age where website building has never been easier. Businesses, hobbyists and everyday people are now able to set up their own sites in a matter of minutes! But what, generally, is the best option to take when it comes to building fantastic websites?
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of WordPress and custom web design, and consider which option may be best for you.
WordPress Web Design
Believe it or not, around 15% of websites you visit will have been built through WordPress! The program started life as a simple, free tool for bloggers to set up their own sites and to manage their own content. Over the years, but, WordPress’ paid service has become more sophisticated.
- WordPress is very safe and secure. The platform is always being updated and refurbished by its hard-working team. There are regular patches and security plugins you can install.
- Setting up a website through WordPress is very quick and easy. For people who are unfamiliar with coding or advanced web design techniques, it’s a breath of fresh air. Often, you can set up a website in a matter of hours instead of days.
- WordPress is completely responsive. This means that the websites and pages you build will fit all mobile devices and browsers.
- You can customise your experience. Choose from colourful, adaptable themes and plugins that help enhance your SEO, and more. It’s manageable through your dashboard.
- Some people may find the themes and stylesheets to be a little restrictive. There’s not that much room for creativity or customisation after a point.
- WordPress can be vulnerable to hacking. Despite regular updates and patching, it’s more common for WordPress sites to fall prey to hacks than independent coding.
- Often, you will need the help of a web developer to manage the more intricate customisation for you.
Custom Web Design
Custom web design is preferred by people who want to take full control. Custom site designs can be built and tweaked through a series of programming languages. Learning how to code can take time, but, once you know what you’re doing, you have endless possibilities at your fingertips.
- Custom web design stands out, in a good way. Many WordPress sites can look obvious or samey after a while. Thus, if you want to be unique, custom design is the way forward.
- Custom web design is completely manageable through the help of a web developer. While you may not know the coding essentials yourself, a web dev can take care of the nitty-gritty for you.
- You’re more likely to rank in search results with a custom website. That’s because you have more control over custom elements in your SEO strategy.
- Design and control limits are endless. This means that, unlike WordPress, you won’t ever be restricted to a theme or shell.
- Custom web design can be more difficult to upkeep, especially if you are coding novice. You may need to rely on an experienced web developer.
- Creating a custom web design can take a lot of time to perfect.
- In some cases, custom web development can cost a lot more than WordPress development.
Building a website doesn’t have to be difficult! There are positives and negatives to WordPress and custom web design. Take a look at what’s on offer from both sides, and you’ll find a world of possibilities opening up to you. Go with your gut instinct, as well as your budget – and find a web developer who can support you.